Tuesday, February 01, 2005

What kind of show should I Podcast?

Podcast Format?

So, after several Podcast's, I have found myself at a dilemma.
What kind of show do I want to do?

Of course, the majority of Podcasts are either low budget talk shows consisting of one or two people talking over a computer microphone, or they are a mini music show with a "dj" introducing RIAA free songs. It would be easy to do either, however I'm just not sure.

My first thought was to do a highly produced show, featuring some of my favorite radio elements, as well as, featuring some comedy bits and parody songs. In fact, that is exactly what you hear in my first Podcast, heavy production and polished content. The first show received many positive emails, however I thought it lacked many things. I wasn't all that pleased with it.

My second Podcast was the complete opposite. Instead of the heavy production I opted for spontaneity and improvisation. Once again, the Podcast received many positive emails and seemed to be very well received. Upon listening to it myself, I found that it was very similar to the majority of Podcasts and had a nice natural flow to it. The only flaw that I could find to this style Podcast was that it almost seemed like an audio diary, somewhat aimless and pointless. I really couldn't see myself doing this sort of show on a continuous basis without feeling like some kind of dork meandering around in a mindless haze.

So, we are back to the original point. What kind of Podcast to do?

A friend of mine called me on his cell phone just the other day. He was listening to his IPOD while driving home from work. He had the IPOD on random shuffle. As he was talking, I could hear the music change in the background, and at one point one of my parody commercials played. It sounded great! It sounded like some crazy ass radio station from the twilight zone. I mentioned it to him, and he told me that the comedy bits and parody songs made the shuffle sound better.

It occurred to me that maybe, rather than doing a "show", I should do little audio snippets, parody commercials, comedy bits, news, whatever, and Podcast them. This way listeners could use them in their IPOD's along with their songs and shows.

I really don't know, and that's a good part about Podcasting. You don't need to know. You have the freedom to experiment without the risk of failure or loosing your job.

Any ideas?